A single mother-of-four has had three limbs amputated after a small bite from her pet Shih Tzu left her fighting for her life.
Christine Caron, 49, had both her legs and an arm amputated after her mixed breed called Buster gave her a small bite on May 22. She brushed off the injury and allowed one of her three other dogs to lick the wound.
Three days later, Ms Caron from Ottawa in Canada, went into septic shock after her wound became infected with Capnocytophaga canimorsus – a bacteria common in dog’s saliva.
Ms Caron’s extreme reaction to the bacteria left doctors fighting to save her life. The medical team at Ottawa Hospital were forced to put her into an induced coma for six weeks.
The septic shock caused blood flow to be restricted to her limbs and left doctors’ with no choice but to amputate.
The 49-year-old told CBCNews: ’When I woke up my legs were black and my arm looked sort of mummified.’
Doctors are unsure if the infection spread from the bite or from a dog licking the wound.
To make matters worse, Ms Caron, who was a keen runner and gardener before she was struck down by the rare infection, does not have health insurance.
Her family have set up a fundraising page to help pay for her prosthetics.