The first of four monuments to the confederacy marked for removal in New Orleans was dismantled under police protection in the “wee hours” of Monday morning, as The Times-Picayune described the scene.
One of the loudest voices protesting the removals came miles away, from a conservative Republican who is running for governor of Virginia.
A statement from Stewart’s campaign calls the removal of the Confederate monuments a “blatant destruction of U.S. history” that is sweeping across the South.
Many folks on Twitter didn’t care for his comments:
Stewart is also catching fire for criticizing “Yankees” who deride Southerners for their monuments.
The Minnesota Star Tribune pointed out that Stewart is a native Minnesotan, which brought this criticism:
SOURCE: Times-Picayune, Minnesota Star Tribune
Also On Power 107.5:
12 photos Launch gallery
1. #powerfallfest is lit 🔥
1 of 12
2. @liluzivert x @power1075 x #FallFest x #KBFilms 🎞📽
2 of 12
3. The homie @djlukenastyy in the building tonight at #PowerFallFest. I'm DJn his set so we bout to set Columbus on 🔥🔥🔥🔥 #DownWithTheKing
3 of 12
4. 🔥🔥🔥 #powerfallfest
4 of 12
5. lil uzi lit #powerfallfest
5 of 12
6. Backstage at the #PowerFallFest @djbigbink and Vonzail @musiqman81 ..#bigbinkshow
6 of 12
7. @lildonair with her "life sized" LilD sign 💁🏽
7 of 12
8. #AboutLastNight #LilUziVert #RockStarLifeStyleMightDontMakeIt
8 of 12
9 of 12
10. #we LIT!!!!!! #powerfallfest #bigbinkshow
10 of 12
11. Hey Columbus @thedopedixon has you covered on all BTS of Fall Fest on that snap @ "Power1075" 👑
11 of 12
12. #rp @LILDonAIR: "I said "hey @djmrking we should dress alike!" He said "that's corny." Then I see this 🙄 That's my dj doe!! #PowerFallFest
12 of 12