Four people arrested after a peaceful protest turns physical with the police.
It was a beautiful Saturday (June 17) and a beautiful scene to see in downtown Columbus. With the seas of rainbow and people from all walks of life celebrating the Stonewall Columbus Pride Festival and Parade, one incident did occur involving the police.
WBNS reports that four people were arrested and two officers were hurt during the festivities. Police tell media that protesters for black LGBTQ rights did not obey orders to move away and not block the parade route. Once police try to physically remove the protestors things quickly got out of hand.
Police said there was an altercation when the protest group resisted.
One person tried disarming an officer and the officer was hurt, according to police.
Police said another officer was injured while arresting someone else.
One of those officers has a torn ACL according to police.
Police said the charges for those arrested range from aggravated robbery, resisting arrest causing harm to a police officer, fail to comply with a police officers order or signal to disorderly conduct-hindering movement.
The protestors were from the People’s Justice Project and wanted to take a moment of silence for the death and injustice of Philando Castile’s trial ended with a not guilty verdict.
Police say they do not plan to reach out to the group.
Out & Proud: A Year In LGBTQi
1. Sherri Shepherd Had To Apologize For Perceived Anti-Gay Comments1 of 14
2. Porsha Gave An Anti-Gay Sermon & Had To Apologize2 of 14
3. Piers Morgan Got It All Wrong WIth Trangender Activist Janet Mock3 of 14
4. Anti-Gay Africa: Nigerian President Signs Act To Imprison LGBTQ Community4 of 14
5. NeNe Calls Kenya’s Gay Friend A “Queen”5 of 14
6. Stunning Photos Of Lesbian Couples That Melted Our Hearts6 of 14
7. Raven-Symoné: “Don’t Label Me African-American Or Gay”7 of 14
8. Beauty Queen Djuan Trent Becomes 1st National Pageant Contestant To Come Out The Closet8 of 14
9. My Bad: ‘Fashion Queens’ Host Bevy Smith Apologizes For Gay Comment On Twitter9 of 14
10. New Children’s Book Series Highlights Gay Families Of Color10 of 14
11. ESPN Apologizes For Michael Sam Shower Report, But Why Was It Even A Topic?!11 of 14
12. Gay Marriage Wins This Year12 of 14
13. Transgender Sailor’s Discharge Puts Pressure On Ending Ban13 of 14
14. LGBT Group At St. Patrick’s Day Parade14 of 14
Four People Arrested At Columbus Pride Festival And Parade was originally published on mycolumbusmagic.com