“Black Panther” is only a couple of days away from being released in theaters and fans are ready. Recently a petition circled around on Change.orgcalling on Marvel Studios as well as The Walt Disney Company to give 25% of the profits from the film to the Black community. In an article on Huffington Post they state a user named Chaz Gormley created the petition.
Gormley is calling for profits because the movie directly targets the Black community. The petition says, “Through a clever, well-manufactured marketing campaign Marvel Studios and their parent company The Walt Disney Company have targeted the Black community with their advertisements for the upcoming ‘Black Panther’ film, due to release on February 16, 2018. As marginalized groups have become more vocal, corporations and their savvy public relations departments have turned to catering to these groups – to turn a profit – and this film by Marvel Studios is no different.”
He also mentions that because the film is coming out during Black History Month, the director is Black as well as most of the cast it is only right that the community profits from it. The petition now has over 600 signatures and is using certain hashtags such as #BreakBreadMarvel on social media. Do you agree with this petition?
- Entertainment Rundown Suge Knight Strikes Plea Deal
- Welp! ‘Love and Hip Hop’ Star Tommie Lee Sentenced To 48 Hours In Jail For DUI
- Dr. Talisa Dixon Named Columbus City Schools Superintendent
- Former NBA Player And Fellow Georgetown Prep Alum Defends Brett Kavanaugh, Kind Of
- New Job: Cannabis Connoisseur $50 an Hour!
- Happy Anniversary! Cardi B Posts First-Ever Photo of Her Secret Wedding To Offset
- Sanaa Lathan: I Would Be Doing The ‘Nappily Ever After’ Story A Disservice If I Didn’t shave My Head
- Browns, Baker Mayfield, Beat Jets and Looked Good Doing It
- Black Hurricane Florence Survivors Say They’re Being Ignored After Historic Flooding In Wilmington
- Kanye West to Nick Cannon and Drake, Don’t Mention My Wife