“Black Panther” is only a couple of days away from being released in theaters and fans are ready. Recently a petition circled around on Change.orgcalling on Marvel Studios as well as The Walt Disney Company to give 25% of the profits from the film to the Black community. In an article on Huffington Post they state a user named Chaz Gormley created the petition.
Gormley is calling for profits because the movie directly targets the Black community. The petition says, “Through a clever, well-manufactured marketing campaign Marvel Studios and their parent company The Walt Disney Company have targeted the Black community with their advertisements for the upcoming ‘Black Panther’ film, due to release on February 16, 2018. As marginalized groups have become more vocal, corporations and their savvy public relations departments have turned to catering to these groups – to turn a profit – and this film by Marvel Studios is no different.”
He also mentions that because the film is coming out during Black History Month, the director is Black as well as most of the cast it is only right that the community profits from it. The petition now has over 600 signatures and is using certain hashtags such as #BreakBreadMarvel on social media. Do you agree with this petition?
- In Case You Missed It: Tiffany Haddish Opens The MTV Movie Awards By Fighting Black Panther For The Throne [Video]
- ‘LHHATLS7’ Recap: Tommie Must Face Her (Alleged) Alcoholism If She Wants To Film Again
- SZA Still Working On Damaged Voice
- Pittsburgh Rapper Jimmy Wopo Dies Following Double Shooting in Pittsburgh
- Prayers Up: Pittsburgh Rapper Jimmy Wopo Is Killed In Drive-By Shooting
- Hip-Hop Reacts To XXXTentacion’s Murder
- So Sad: Kirk Franklin Mourns His Sister’s 30 Year Prison Sentence
- The Best Migo? 7 Times Takeoff Made Up For Being Left Off ‘Bad & Boujee’
- Watch: This Man Prevents An 18-Foot Python From Killing Him
- Dr. Dre Is Making A Marvin Gaye Movie & These Actors Could Ace The Lead Role