“Black Panther” is only a couple of days away from being released in theaters and fans are ready. Recently a petition circled around on Change.orgcalling on Marvel Studios as well as The Walt Disney Company to give 25% of the profits from the film to the Black community. In an article on Huffington Post they state a user named Chaz Gormley created the petition.
Gormley is calling for profits because the movie directly targets the Black community. The petition says, “Through a clever, well-manufactured marketing campaign Marvel Studios and their parent company The Walt Disney Company have targeted the Black community with their advertisements for the upcoming ‘Black Panther’ film, due to release on February 16, 2018. As marginalized groups have become more vocal, corporations and their savvy public relations departments have turned to catering to these groups – to turn a profit – and this film by Marvel Studios is no different.”
He also mentions that because the film is coming out during Black History Month, the director is Black as well as most of the cast it is only right that the community profits from it. The petition now has over 600 signatures and is using certain hashtags such as #BreakBreadMarvel on social media. Do you agree with this petition?
- Oprah, Reese Witherspoon, Mindy Kaling Talk Wrinkle, Loving Your Hair & Negative Energy
- Yes, This Woman Just Used Her Baby As An Umbrella
- Have You Ever Seen A Prison Beauty Pageant? It’s A Thing
- Taylor Bennett Rejects The Status Quo In New Track ‘Minimum Wage’
- Bald Head, Don’t Care: 6 Bold And Beautiful Women That Effortlessly Rock No Hair
- An Entertainment Attorney Explains Why Mo’Nique’s Issues With Netflix Are Legit
- This Video Is Proof That Letitia Wright Is Queen Of All Things
- Mo’Nique Demolishes Charlamagne Tha God For Calling Her Donkey Of The Day
- Quincy Jones Apologies For Spilling Everyone’s Tea
- #WordEyeHeard: Young Thug Not Releasing Music This Year Because of Deaf Brother