Black women spend a lot of time and money to make sure their hair is always kept up. Beauty supply stores can be found all over predominately Black neighborhoods, but many of them are owned by Korean immigrants. Essence reports that they have dominated the industry because of their close ties to hair suppliers as well as wholesalers in South Korea.
Over the past several years Black-owned beauty supply stores continue to rise in different neighborhoods. These women are following in the footsteps of Madame CJ Walker, which is an iconic self-made millionaire and entrepreneur. Recently, two Black women became the youngest in Moreno Valley, California to become business owners.
View this post on Instagram
Judian and Kadeian Brown, the owners of Black Girls Divine Beauty Supply and Salon in Brooklyn, NY, were recently featured in the New York Times. Out of the 10,000 beauty stores that sell hair products catered to black women, only a few hundred of those stores are actually black owned. Although the multibillion-dollar hair industry is dominated by Korean entrepreneurs, these go-getters are breaking into the black hair business despite the enormous challenges they face. We admire the Brown sisters for their ambition!
Kayla Davis. 19, and Keonna Davis, 21, opened KD Haircare Supply and is trying to grow in their communities. Sisters, Judian Brown, 35, and Kadeian Brown, 33 are also thriving at their Black-owned beauty supply store in Brooklyn, NY. Four years ago they opened Black Girls Divine Beauty Supply and Salon. As more of these stores keep opening Black communities will be able to support businesses owned by us.
- Rose IV You, Rumored to be a Album with Beyonce, Kelly Rowland
- SMH! Woman Leaves 2 Yr Old On A Strangers Door Step!
- Future and Juice WRLD Drop Collab Project ‘WRLD ON DRUGS’
- City Show:Diddy Has a New Boo Already?
- Uncuffed: 9 Anti-Cuffing SZN Songs To Blast This Cuffing Cycle
- Exclusive: Jay Ellis Reveals Which Celebrity Friends He’d Trust To Get Him Out Of An “Escape Room”
- ‘HTGAWM’ Recap: If [Redacted] Dies, We Riot
- Rihanna Declines Super Bowl Halftime Show In Support Of Colin Kaepernick
- Dave East & Styles P “We Got Everything,” Gucci Mane ft. Lil Pump “Kept Back” & More | Daily Visuals 10.18.18
- Kyle Kuzma Partners With Sneaker Reselling Company GOAT
Best Hairstyles On The Red Carpet From The 49th Annual NAACP Image Awards [PHOTOS]
1. THAT’S JUST THE WAVE1 of 18
2. THAT’S JUST THE WAVE2 of 18
3. SLEEK AND CHIC3 of 18
4. SLEEK AND CHIC4 of 18
5. SLEEK AND CHIC5 of 18
6. SLEEK AND CHIC6 of 18
7. BRAIDED BEAUTY7 of 18
8. BRAIDED BEAUTY8 of 18
9. BRAIDED BEAUTY9 of 18
10. BRAIDED BEAUTY10 of 18
11. CROPPED CUTS11 of 18
12. CROPPED CUTS12 of 18
13. AFRO AWESOMENESS13 of 18
14. AFRO AWESOMENESS14 of 18
15. NATURAL UPDOS15 of 18
16. NATURAL UPDOS16 of 18
17. NATURAL UPDOS17 of 18
18. NATURAL UPDOS18 of 18
Why Black-Owned Beauty Supply Stores Are On The Rise was originally published on rickeysmileymorningshow.com