A grand jury in New York on Wednesday decided not to indict white police officer Daniel Pantaleo in the
July choke hold death of Eric Garner, an unarmed black man, according to two law enforcement officials.
Pantaleo put 47-year-old Garner into a chokehold during an arrest for selling untaxed cigarettes on July 17. In a viral video of the arrest, Garner can be seen screaming “I can’t breathe!” multiple times until his body goes limp. A medical examiner later ruled his death a homicide.
WARNING – Explicit video:
Chokeholds are banned by NYPD guidelines, and Garner’s death prompted large protests across the city.
The grand jury’s decision Wednedsay comes just over a week after a grand jury in Ferguson, Missouri declined to indict officer Darren Wilson in the shooting death of Michael Brown.
Remembering Mike Brown On His 19th Birthday (May 20, 1996- August 9, 2014)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Mike Brown, just a normal 18-year-old on his way to college
1 of 30
2. Mike Brown playing around with a family member
2 of 30
3. Mike Brown's mother Lesley McFadden and father, Michael Brown, Sr. at a press conference.
3 of 30
4. Lesley McSpadden, Mike Brown's mother and his stepfather, Louis Head, comfort each other after his death.
4 of 30
5. Residents of Ferguson, Missouri create a memorial where Mike Brown was killed.
5 of 30
6. Clergy and residents gather in Ferguson.
6 of 30
7. Police in riot gear watch protesters in Ferguson.
7 of 30
8. Police and protestors come face to face in Ferguson.
8 of 30
9. Riot police on the scene in Ferguson, Missouri.
9 of 30
10. Protesters in Ferguson, Missouri.
10 of 30
11 of 30
12. Peaceful protest in Ferguson, Missouri.
12 of 30
13. Howard University students stand in solidarity with Ferguson, Missouri.
13 of 30
14. National Moment of Silence protest around the country, this one shut down Times Square
14 of 30
15. Missouri Highway Patrol captain Ron Johnson changes the police tone in Ferguson, Missouri.
15 of 30
16. Milwaukee, Wisconsin protestors stand in solidarity with Ferguson, Missouri.
16 of 30
17. Out of the mouths of babes.
17 of 30
18. A candle for peace glows as part of a vigil in St. Louis
18 of 30
19. Teens in Philadelphia observe the NMOS'14. It's all about LOVE.
19 of 30
20. Mike Brown allegedly involved in store confrontation/robbery before his death.
20 of 30
21. Police stats from Ferguson, Missouri.
Source:Mother Jones infographic
21 of 30
22. Protesters vandalize a police vehicle outside of the Ferguson city hall on Tuesday, Nov. 25, 2014, in Ferguson, Mo.
22 of 30
23. Police officers confront protesters Tuesday, Nov. 25, 2014, in Ferguson, Mo.
23 of 30
24 of 30
25. Police shoot pepper spray toward protesters in front of the Ferguson Police Department on Tuesday, Nov. 25, 2014, in Ferguson, Mo.
25 of 30
26. In this aerial photo,people look at a row of charred cars at a used car dealership, Tuesday, Nov. 25, 2014, in Dellwood, Mo.
26 of 30
27. Citizens protest the Ferguson Decision in Dallas, TX.
27 of 30
28. Citizens protest the Ferguson Decision in Atlanta, Georgia.
28 of 30
29. Citizens protest the Ferguson Decision in Boston, Massachusetts.
29 of 30
30. Citizens protest the Ferguson Decision in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
30 of 30