Matt Barnes is the morning co-anchor of NBC4 Today, a position he took in January 2016. He joined the NBC4 staff in May 2010 as a sports anchor and reporter.
Matt began his broadcasting career at NBC4 as an intern, working in the sports department in the summer of 2007, learning all the ins and out of the television business. During his time as an intern. he helped with coverage of the Memorial Tournament and NHL Draft.
He is a proud graduate from the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism at Ohio University, graduating cum laude with a degree in broadcast journalism. While at OU, he worked for Gridiron Glory at WOUB, which won a student production Emmy. He was also one of 12 OU students who were featured in a commercial campaign, including a billboard.
After college, Matt worked at WRDW-TV in Augusta, GA as a sports anchor/reporter, covering numerous sporting events, including the Masters tournament. Matt said his biggest thrill was playing Augusta National twice and shooting over 100 both times.
His favorite part about working in television is being able to tell people’s stories. Whether it is talking to someone making a difference in their community, a young person fighting against a terminal disease, or an athlete striving for a championship, everyone has a unique story to tell.
As a native of Columbus, being out and about in the community is very important to him. He is an avid volunteer and supporter of the Ronald McDonald House in Columbus. He also serves as a mentor with Big Brothers Big Sisters. You also might see him talking to schools around the area, including his alma maters Indianola Elementary, Johnson Park Middle and Bishop Hartley High.
- Biden Administration Says Infrastructure Deal Prioritizes The Black Community
- Eye On The Community with Sean Anthony: Interview about Black Girl Soar
- Philadelphia Black Man Freed After Three Decades in Prison Based Off 30-Year-Old Evidence Already In The System
- Rep. Cori Bush Calls Inaction On Eviction Moratorium A ‘Moral Failure’
- Gabrielle Union Shows Off Her Toned Bikini Bod On Instagram In Cheeky Swimsuit Pics
- Jamaican Athlete Elaine Thompson-Herah Breaks Flo-Jo’s Olympic Record In Women’s 100 Meters
- Nicki Minaj Is Set To Host ‘The Real Housewives of Potomac’ Reunion Special
- Nina Turner Makes Her Case For Congress: ‘People Just Want To Live’
- Congress Goes On Vacation To Their Homes As Evictions Start Back Up
- Diva’s Daily Dirt: Da Baby Says ‘God’s Ready For Me To Be An Icon’