Matt Barnes is the morning co-anchor of NBC4 Today, a position he took in January 2016. He joined the NBC4 staff in May 2010 as a sports anchor and reporter.
Matt began his broadcasting career at NBC4 as an intern, working in the sports department in the summer of 2007, learning all the ins and out of the television business. During his time as an intern. he helped with coverage of the Memorial Tournament and NHL Draft.
He is a proud graduate from the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism at Ohio University, graduating cum laude with a degree in broadcast journalism. While at OU, he worked for Gridiron Glory at WOUB, which won a student production Emmy. He was also one of 12 OU students who were featured in a commercial campaign, including a billboard.
After college, Matt worked at WRDW-TV in Augusta, GA as a sports anchor/reporter, covering numerous sporting events, including the Masters tournament. Matt said his biggest thrill was playing Augusta National twice and shooting over 100 both times.
His favorite part about working in television is being able to tell people’s stories. Whether it is talking to someone making a difference in their community, a young person fighting against a terminal disease, or an athlete striving for a championship, everyone has a unique story to tell.
As a native of Columbus, being out and about in the community is very important to him. He is an avid volunteer and supporter of the Ronald McDonald House in Columbus. He also serves as a mentor with Big Brothers Big Sisters. You also might see him talking to schools around the area, including his alma maters Indianola Elementary, Johnson Park Middle and Bishop Hartley High.
- Megan Thee Stallion Gives Some Holiday Hot Girl Advice + Discusses Her Debut Album ‘Good News’
- Jeezy Addresses Squashing Beef With Gucci Mane, Jeannie Mai’s White Meat/ Dark Meat Comments & More
- Trevor Noah Will Host 2021 Grammys & The Academy Announces Nominations
- Beyonce Leads 2021 Grammy Nominations, Roddy Ricch Follows
- Violent History Of Florida Deputy Who Fatally Shot Black Teens Prompts Concerns As Families Of Victims Await Answers
- Everyone Is Counting On Black Women Again To Go The Distance In Georgia’s Senate Runoff Race
- After Losing To Dinkins, Giuliani Conceded And Urged Support For New Mayor In Spirit Of ‘Democracy’
- Diva’s Daily Dirt: Gucci Mane Is Ready To Battle Again!?
- Meet Shuwanza Goff, The Black Woman Who Will Help Advance Biden’s Agenda On Capitol Hill
- 21-Year-Old Breonna Taylor Protest Leader Hazma ‘Travis’ Nagdy Killed In Fatal Shooting