A fatal crash has closed Interstate 270 on the south side of Columbus. The accident occurred around 2:30 p.m this afternoon in the eastbound lanes of I-270 between U.S. 23 and Alum Creek Drive.
I-270 East is now closed between I-71 and Alum Creek Drive while police investigate the incident. Several westbound lanes are also blocked.
According to the Ohio Department of Transportation, the following restrictions are in place:
- I-270 EB is closed at I-71 on the south side of Columbus due to a crash
- The ramps from I-71 to I-270 EB are closed
- The ramp from I-270 EB to I-71 NB is closed
- Traffic must exit I-270 EB to I-71 SB
- The ramps from US 23 to I-270 EB are closed
- The ramp from Alum Creek Dr. to I-270 EB is closed
These closures are expected last hours, motorists should expect delays.
According to Columbus police, one person was killed. Two others were taken to area hospitals in critical condition.
CPD’s radio room says police will not be responding to non-injury crashes on the freeways during the duration of rush hour. All other road assignments will continue to respond to non-injury accidents.