Al Roker made a public revelation on Friday (November 6), alerting America and his TODAY Show co-workers he had been diagnosed with prostate cancer.
The 66-year-old Roker will be undergoing surgery to have his prostate removed and explained he publicly wanted to reveal his diagnosis due to the fact 1 in 7 Black men and 1 in 9 men overall will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in their lifetime.
“It’s a good news-bad news kind of thing,” Roker said. “Good news is we caught it early. Not great news is that it’s a little aggressive, so I’m going to be taking some time off to take care of this. We’ll just wait and see, and hopefully in about two weeks, I’ll be back (on TODAY).”
Roker’s doctor, Vincent Laudone said his cancer hadn’t spread to other areas of his body.
“Fortunately his cancer appears somewhat limited or confined to the prostate, but because it’s more aggressive, we wanted to treat it, and after discussion regarding all of the different options — surgery, radiation, focal therapy — we settled on removing the prostate,” Laudone said.
The Prostate Cancer Foundation recommends Black men talk to their doctor about being screened for prostate cancer at age 40. The American Cancer Society recommends discussing screenings at age 45 for Black men and women and men who have had a father or brother diagnosed with prostate cancer before 65. The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommends all men ages 55-69 talk to their doctors about being screened.
“The problem for African American men is that any number of reasons from genetics to access to health care, and so we want to make it available and let people know they got to get checked,” Roker said.
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
- Elderly Black Man In Need Of Medical Treatment Released From Georgia Hospital And Found Laying On The Ground Outside
- Jordyn Woods Serves Face And Body In Burgundy Cut-Out Dress
- Rapper Lil’ Durk Gushed Over Longtime Love India Royale And Her Cosmetic Line On Nicki Minaj’s IG Live
- Ciara Gifts Gabrielle Union A Fashion Box From Her LITA by Ciara Collection And It’s Everything!
- Surprise! Eve Reveals She’s Expecting Her First Child: ‘You All Know How Long We’ve Been Waiting For This Blessing!’
- R.I.P: Timuel Black, Chicago Civil Rights Activist & Historian, Dies At 102
- The Cast Of ‘RHOP’ Show Off Their Season 6 Reunion Looks And They Did Not Come To Play!
- Diva’s Daily Dirt: Bill Cosby Is Facing A New Lawsuit
- Oh Baby! Eve And Husband Maximillion Cooper Expecting First Child Together
- Gabrielle Union Admits To Almost Becoming A Video Vixen After Auditioning For 2Pac