Comedienne and actress Mo’nique joined Roland Martin on “NewsOne Now” Thursday, from Los Angeles, and shared why black entertainers must appreciate black institutions like the NAACP Image Awards more.
“It’s unfair when we overlook ours and we put all of this on [the Oscar],” Mo’nique told Martin. “We jump for joy to say ‘another one of us got it’ but I don’t remember the phone calls I received when I got nominated for the Image Award. I don’t remember the big powerhouse black folks calling me up and saying ‘baby, you got the Image Award.’ Now, when I got that Oscar award, that nomination, I got calls from everybody.”
The actress went on to say that, with that in mind, she hopes that black entertainers are beginning to shift their thinking to value recognitions like the Image Awards on par with mainstream awards.
“The moment we begin to understand what we mean to us, we get better,” she said.
Be sure to listen to “NewsOne Now” with Roland Martin, weekdays at 7 a.m. EST and watch at 9 a.m. EST on TV One.
Also On Power 107.5:
12 photos Launch gallery
1. #powerfallfest is lit 🔥
1 of 12
2. @liluzivert x @power1075 x #FallFest x #KBFilms 🎞📽
2 of 12
3. The homie @djlukenastyy in the building tonight at #PowerFallFest. I'm DJn his set so we bout to set Columbus on 🔥🔥🔥🔥 #DownWithTheKing
3 of 12
4. 🔥🔥🔥 #powerfallfest
4 of 12
5. lil uzi lit #powerfallfest
5 of 12
6. Backstage at the #PowerFallFest @djbigbink and Vonzail @musiqman81 ..#bigbinkshow
6 of 12
7. @lildonair with her "life sized" LilD sign 💁🏽
7 of 12
8. #AboutLastNight #LilUziVert #RockStarLifeStyleMightDontMakeIt
8 of 12
9 of 12
10. #we LIT!!!!!! #powerfallfest #bigbinkshow
10 of 12
11. Hey Columbus @thedopedixon has you covered on all BTS of Fall Fest on that snap @ "Power1075" 👑
11 of 12
12. #rp @LILDonAIR: "I said "hey @djmrking we should dress alike!" He said "that's corny." Then I see this 🙄 That's my dj doe!! #PowerFallFest
12 of 12