Serena Williams put many naysayers to rest by winning her first match during the U.S. Open. Williams prevailed over a shoulder injury and concerns about a matchup against experienced opponent Ekaterina Makarova – who is ranked 29th in the world – to secure a 6-3, 6-3 win. Last year, Williams lost to Roberta Vinci, preventing her from winning the Grand Slam. This year, Williams is set on clinching her 23rd title in a major tournament, and looks to accomplish a record-setting seventh U.S. Open title. Read more.
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Backs Colin Kaepernick’s National Anthem Protest
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar lent his support to San Francisco 49ers Colin Kaepernick’s “Star Spangled Banner” protest. Abdul-Jabbar called Kaepernick’s act “highly patriotic,” and used Muhammad Ali, Tommie Smith, and John Carlos’ respective revolutionary moments of protest as models for Kaepernick’s recent stance. Abdul-Jabbar’s comments come as Kaepernick faces an onslaught of criticism surrounding his decision to stay seated during the song. Recently, retired football stars Tiki Barber and Jerry Rice faced criticism on social media for scolding Kaepernick and his protest, which aims to bring attention to the recent police shootings involving African-Americans and the country’s history of mistreating minorities. Read more.
President Obama Grants 111 Federal Inmates Clemency
President Obama continues his historic initiative aimed at giving a new life to inmates incarcerated under the nation’s current drug laws. On Tuesday, Obama announced he would grant 111 federal inmates clemency, bringing his August total to 325. This is the most commutations given in a single month in the nation’s history. In total, the Obama administration has granted clemency to 673 people, less than 900 hundred shy of their 1,500 goal. Read more.
Southern Poverty Law Center Designates “White Lives Matter” A Hate Group
White Lives Matter will be added to the list curated by the Southern Poverty Law Center in February. The SPLC’s list currently counts 892 existing hate groups in the nation. The watchdog group said White Lives Matter was created as an antithesis to Black Lives Matter, then organized into a separate White nationalist organization. The group’s name will also be added to the SPLC’s hate map, which pinpoints the location of racist, hate-filled groups. Read more.
Man Fatally Shot For Not Holding Door During McDonald’s Confrontation With Woman
Mohammad Robinson, 31, was shot and killed in Las Vegas on Saturday after he mistakenly did not hold the door open for an unnamed woman. Authorities say Robinson was shot just before midnight at a local McDonald’s. According to reports, Robinson and the woman got into an argument, after which the woman notified a male companion who pulled out a gun, shooting Robinson at the scene. Family and friends say Robinson was a good man who was senselessly murdered. Robinson’s 14-year-old daughter said her heart will be forever broken over her loss. Read more.
PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Serena & Venus Williams’ Best Tennis Outfits Through The Years
1. Remember when…Serena and Venus came onto the scene in the late 1990s wearing beads and braids?Source:Getty Images 1 of 24
2. Serena sports one of her classic Puma tennis dresses at the 1999 US Open.Source:Getty Images 2 of 24
3. Venus rocks a cutout tennis dress at the 1999 Grand Slam Cup.Source:Getty Images 3 of 24
4. A young Serena Williams wears a two-tone tennis dress at the 2000 Australian Open.Source:Getty Images 4 of 24
5. Venus rocks one of her signature cutout tennis outfits at Wimbledon in 2000.Source:Getty Images 5 of 24
6. Serena goes pastel purple at the eStyle.Com Classic in 2000.Source:Getty Images 6 of 24
7. Venus and Serena looked super stylish at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.Source:Getty Images 7 of 24
8. Serena is pretty in pink at the 2001 French Open.Source:Getty Images 8 of 24
9. Serena celebrates her 2002 Wimbledon win in a traditional (but not-so-traditional) white tennis outfit.Source:Getty Images 9 of 24
10. Serena is just a peach at the 2002 Home Depot Championships.Source:Getty Images 10 of 24
11. Serena’s orange and white 2003 Wimbledon Puma outfit.Source:Getty Images 11 of 24
12. Serena rocks a metallic empire waist at the Women’s Telecom Italia Tennis Masters in 2004.Source:Getty Images 12 of 24
13. Serena wins in her gorgeous 2004 Wimbledon outfit.Source:Getty Images 13 of 24
14. Serena rocks a denim tennis outfit at the 2004 US Open Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day.Source:Getty Images 14 of 24
15. Serena celebrates in this cute Nike ensemble at the 2005 Australian Open.Source:Getty Images 15 of 24
16. Serena experiments with a little color blocking at the 2009 French Open.Source:Getty Images 16 of 24
17. Venus gets sexy on the court at the 2010 Sony Ericsson Open.Source:Getty Images 17 of 24
18. Venus rocks a double slit tennis dress while playing with her sister at the 2010 Australian Open.Source:Getty Images 18 of 24
19. Serena goes pink on pink at the 2013 US Open.Source:Getty Images 19 of 24
20. Serena looks gorgeous in pink cheetah at the 2014 US Open.Source:Getty Images 20 of 24
21. More cheetah for Serena at the 2014 US Open.Source:Getty Images 21 of 24
22. Serena wears a yellow crop top at the 2016 Australian Open.Source:Getty Images 22 of 24
23. Serena and Venus get braided up in preparation for Rio Olympics.Source:Getty Images 23 of 24
24. Serena Williams represents Team USA at the 2016 Rio Olympics.Source:Getty Images 24 of 24
NEWS ROUNDUP: Serena Williams Triumphs On Day 1 Of U.S. Open…AND MORE was originally published on newsone.com