Chicago prosecutors said Thursday that the man charged in the killing of Cook County Judge Raymond Myles told authorities that he and his partner targeted the judge’s girlfriend for a robbery, ABC News reports.
In a videotaped statement, Joshua Smith told the police that his partner watched the woman’s movements for weeks before they tried to rob her at about 5 a.m. on Monday. The judge was not the target of the attack, as many assumed.
Smith said his accomplice shot her in the leg and snatched her gym bag. His partner, who is still on the run, shot Myles multiple times when he came out his house to help his girlfriend, Smith stated to the police.
Assistant State’s Attorney Guy Lisuzzo said Smith, who was the getaway driver, dropped his accomplice off and waited in an alley near the judge’s house. His unidentified partner knew that the woman went to the gym early in the morning. He approached her as she left Myles’ house, snatched her gym bag and shot her in the leg, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.
Smith, 37, said in his statement that he heard gunshots, supposedly from his accomplice gunning down the judge. Smith, who had been waiting in the getaway car, picked up his partner as he fled the crime scene.
They searched her gym bag but found no money. Smith said his partner threw away the bag in anger.
Myles’ 52-year-old girlfriend survived the shooting and is a witness to the killing, the police said. Meanwhile, the police and the FBI are searching for the alleged gunman.
The prosecutor charged Smith with first-degree murder, attempted murder and obstruction.
At the bond hearing on Thursday, Smith’s attorney, a public defender, told the judge that Smith turned himself in to the police and is not accused of pulling the trigger. She also described her client as “a positive and contributing citizen,” the Associated Press reported.
However, DuPage County Judge Robert A. Miller ordered Smith held without bond.
Miller presided over the bond hearing to avoid a conflict of interest in the Cook County case because all judges at the Leighton Criminal Courthouse know Myles, the Sun-Times said.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Slain Chicago Judge’s Girlfriend Was Target In Botched Robbery, Prosecutor Says was originally published on newsone.com