The Amber Alert may have gone silent but the desperate search continued on Monday for 3-year-old Sherin Mathews of Richardson, Texas, NBC News Dallas-Fort Worth reports.
She’s been missing since approximately 3 a.m. on Saturday when her father, Wesley Mathews, reportedly ordered her to stand next to a tree, located across an alley from their home, for not drinking her milk.
Mathews told investigators that he went outside to get Sherin about 15 minutes later, but the toddler was gone. Five hours later, he contacted the police.
At least one of his theories is that coyotes may have taken her. Investigators, however, said there’s no evidence that she was dragged away by animals or that she was forcibly abducted.
The police arrested Mathews on Saturday, and charged him with abandoning or endangering a child. Authorities released him on Sunday after he paid a $250,000 bond.
Sherin is about 3 feet tall and weighs 22 pounds. The toddler, who was adopted two years ago from an orphanage in India, has limited verbal skills because of developmental problems.
Officials said they could reissue the Amber Alert, which timed out, if there’s new information in the case.
According to FBI statistics, there were 88,040 active missing person records as of December 31, 2016. Children under the age of 18 accounted for 38.3 percent, or 33,706, of the cases at the end of last year.
SOURCE: NBC News Dallas-Fort Worth
Good 'Ol Days: Barack Obama Was Nominated For President By The DNC 11 Years Ago
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Two TermsSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Michelle and Barack Host a State DinnerSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 8 of 14
9. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 9 of 14
10. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 10 of 14
11. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 11 of 14
12. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 12 of 14
13. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 13 of 14
14.14 of 14
Search Continues For Missing 3-Year-Old Texas Girl Told To Stand Outside By Father was originally published on newsone.com