Jay-Z was nominated for eight Grammys this year for “4:44,” making him the most nominated of the evening. But he didn’t win one award, and his voice wasn’t featured on the stage that night either. Meanwhile, Kendrick Lamar opened the show with one of his signature, heavily political performances, and took home every award he was nominated for.
Jeff Johnson breaks down the politics and sociology behind that. You would think that Kendrick’s messages about police brutality are generally what America doesn’t want to see on TV, and that Jay-Z’s gems about generational wealth & fatherhood would be welcome. But it’s actually the other way around. Click on the audio player to hear more in this exclusive clip from 3 Things You Should Know on “The Rickey Smiley Morning Show.”
Listen to “The Rickey Smiley Morning Show” LIVE every weekday from 6/5am C.
- Music Columbus and Power 1075/1063 Presents: Music Business Monday’s Virtual Music Conference
- Erica Campbell & Roland Martin To Host Urban One Honors May 16th On TV One
- Virginia Prosecutor Calls For Investigation After Cops Drag Black Woman From Her Vehicle
- Governor DeWine Announces Most Health Orders Will Be Lifted in Ohio
- Trending Topics: Gasoline Demand Spikes in Several States + Hackers Threaten To Release DC Police Records
- The Lo Down: NeNe Leakes Weighs In On Porsha Williams Engagement + Falynn Guobadia Breaks Her Silence
- Can We Talk About Porsha Williams’ Mother’s Day Kaftan Now?
- Hip Hop Spot: Nipsey Hussle Murder Suspect Delays Trial With Holdout + Jack Harlow’s DJ Indicted For Murder
- Bobby V Catches Heat After Referring To Women As ‘B-Words’ & Criticizing Them For Not Wearing Clothes On Social Media
- Fulton County DA Reverses Course, Seeks ‘Ultimate Penalty’ Against Spa Shooting Suspect
- Ciara Is 10 Lbs Shy Of Her Post Baby Weight Loss Goal After Partnering With WW As A Brand Ambassador
- Colin Kaepernicks New Book, Set to Drop in October!
Why Jay-Z’s Message Is More Of A Threat To America Than Kendrick Lamar’s [EXCLUSIVE] was originally published on rickeysmileymorningshow.com