Rickey Smiley can remember growing up and seeing Martin Luther King. Jr. photos and quotes in his mothers as well as grandmothers house. The day before he was assassinated his kids climbed on tops of the car and didn’t want him to leave. King even asked his secretary to clear his schedule when he returned so that he could have more time with his kids.
Roland Martin spoke with his secretary and how she can recall all the events that led up to his death. He also spoke about how Black people today are running from movements in which we started. Gay, Latino and other people use movements to change laws and see progress, but we as a people aren’t doing that as much because of fear and other things.
In the 60’s people marched even though it put a target on them and their family. Martin also spoke about how King spoke against the Vietnam war and he believes that speech is what led to his death. He also thinks everyone should read the book by King titled “Where Do We Go From Here.” It gives a plan of what will happen after his death.
Listen to “The Rickey Smiley Morning Show” 6am ET.
- Buckeyes survive to move on to Round 2 of NCAA Tournament
- Doin’ The Most Report: LHH’s Tommie Lee Apologizes For Latest Arrest
- Porsha Williams Delivers Baby Girl!
- Marion Hot Dog Stand Owner Arrested For Drug Trafficking
- Man arrested for shooting two passengers in car on I-670
- Daniel Caesar Says How He Really Feels & Lupita Nyong’o Decimates: This Week’s Winners & Losers
- Never Forget: Today In 1967, Muhammad Ali Defended His Title Just Before Defending His Life
- R Kelly Thanks Chicago & Fans Ban For Leaked Track!! “When I Think Of Home”
- The Florida Man Challenge!!
- EXCLUSIVE: Kelly Rowland On The Power Of Loving Your ‘Crown And Glory’